As it gets cold we start craving hearty dishes. Now, these can be healthy, but we often find ourselves grabbing for comfort food. This salad gives you a hearty, warming feeling while still being extremely healthy. Like vegan, gluten free, extra clean ingredients healthy.
The superstars of this dish: Pomegranate and hemp seeds give this dish (and any other salad) the perfect crunchy, sweet yet nutty flavor.
Health Heroes: Think deep colors when choosing produce because of their antioxidants. All of the fruits and vegetables in this salad are packed with anti-inflammatory, anti-carniogeneic properties. Also, hemp seeds-they are filled with heart healthy fats.
- 1 pound of brussels spouts, halved
- 1/2 pound of mini purple potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 whole pomegranate
- 1/4 cup raw hemp seeds, (purchase shelled)
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- In a small bowl toss halved brussels with 1 tbsp mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil- place on a baking rack and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Add sliced potatoes to the brussels mixture after ten minutes so they can briefly cook for five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add chopped kale.
- Toss in cooked brussels and potatoes
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk with a fork: champagne vinegar, olive oil and remaining mustard. Toss into salad and mix well.
- Top salad with pomegranate seeds and hemp seeds.