I don’t bake. I sometimes feel like I can’t even get pre made cookie dough to bake correctly. But then a brand called Coconut Secret mailed me some coconut flour so I needed to experiment. I had this beautiful delicata squash in my pantry- so I googled how to make a delicata squash cake. I was VERY disappointed when I found basically nothing on the web- because as I said- I need DESPERATE help when it comes to baking. So I tried this one -and I am SO proud of myself with how it turned out that I absolutely had to blog about it!
SERIOUSLY THOUGH— I NEVER BAKE! So guys- this is impressive (especially for all of you non-bakers)
Oh…and did I mention- it’s HEALTHY!
Super simple and clean ingredients. Yes I use real organic butter because well- I will always be a butter supported. P.S I am going to write a post in two weeks about butter, ghee, oils and everything you need to know about fats-because there is a lot of conflicting opinions out there- and I have mine ♥
Checkkk out the recipe below:
- 1.5 cup coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 delicata squash
- 1/2 c organic butter, seperated in half
- 1/2 c 2% milk or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 c grade B maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest
- .5 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranates (optional, for garnish)
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine 4 whole eggs, milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, maple syrup and orange zest and whisk all ingredients together.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients mixing well.
- Line a cake sheet with unbleached parchment paper and pour the rest of the butter onto the sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While cake is baking, wash and cut, and remove seeds from squash. Cut into 1/2 inch moon shape pieces.
- Carefully, remove the cake from the oven (it should be half cooked).
- Place sliced delicata squash onto the cake and bake for 30 additional minutes (until cake is dry and squash is slightly browned.
- Cook for 10 minutes and enjoy!